Wednesday, March 12, 2008

She's doing WHAT now!?

Move over, Alex Croak. Your two-Olympics-in-two-different-sports mantle could soon be taken from you by an enigmatic redhead.


Allana Slater, a dual Commonwealth Games team member AND dual Olympian, not to mention Australia's most decorated gymnast, has taken up shooting(!) and hopes for a Beijing slot in pistol shooting alongside well-known names in the sport like Michael Diamond and Russell Mark [famous for medalling in trap shooting].


I missed the news item, but by the sounds of it they used footage from Manchester 2002...? I don't know, trying to recall Liz C's comments from my old tapes. I really have watched them a lot!


Good luck to Allana, she always seemed a determined individual so no doubt a change of scene will bring her new and exciting experiences (and hopefully, some international success!)

ETA: Thanks to secret agent Asha for the heads-up; the video is now online!


(Remember me saying I didn't like the 'finger gun' gesture? Well, she's certainly taken it a bit literally, though I really don't think I'll be saying it to her face... not now that she's brandishing a firearm, anyway!)

5 comments:

Epicurean Girls said...

It's up on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij8taewC4s4 if anyone wants to take a look.

All the best to her. I guess this will mean the end of her gymnastics commentary days?

Mez said...

Thanks for that. I was thinking the same thing - won't she commentate anymore? What about her judging as well?

Interesting turn of events...

Epicurean Girls said...

I forgot all about her judging. Guess she won't be able to do that anymore either. We'll have to see if she's at Nationals this year.

Anonymous said...

I am sure she will still be able to judge. Shooting (I don't think) wouldn't require the amount of training as gymnastics did, so I am sure she could fit it in. Also, its not like its a sport where if you miss two days training you lose your conditioning. So she would probalby have a few days off training for nationals and stuff. I still think its really strange that she is doing shooting though!

Anonymous said...

Watched the piece on ABC and good on her but..... not trying to be bitchy but what was she wearing? It was an outfit that looked like my grandma put together. She's a gorgeous girl but she needs a few tips on style.