Saturday, December 6, 2008

Making The List

A couple of elegant Aussies have made some lists in the last few days.

PIKED's list of The Top 100 Floor Routines of the Last 8 Years features Lisa Skinner's 2000 Arabian Princess routine at #13 (not the first time she's been the highest-ranked Australian with that routine, yuk yuk yuk), Dasha Joura's 2008 effort at #48, and Allana Slater's patriotic 2000 routine at #61. Unless it's just me, her 2001-2004 Tango del Roxanne routine doesn't appear to be listed anywhere, and I think many of us, artistry-wise at least, would rank that above I Still Call Australia Home.


Dasha J is also mentioned (fittingly) on the Top 10 Funkiest Gymnasts on Floor list over at the Double Salto blog. Although I, for one, would certainly not put her unique salute down to being 'a bit drunk'.



Don't forget to cast your vote in the 2008 Australian Gymnastics Blog Awards!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allana's Moulin Rouge routine was the routine of the quad. I never tired of it, mainly because she did alter it slightly each year. It matured with her and was stunning. I especially loved when she did the 1.5 twist step out through to the triple, in Cottbus 2002 IIRC.

She built up the atmosphere with her smile when the music started. Kinda like how Dasha does her trademark salute and then struts out all sophisticated then gives a sly smile to the camera and, on occasion a coquettish wink. It's not just a floor routine, it's a performance which starts before the music and keeps going after.

Anonymous said...

What do you mean with the "yuk yuk yuk" mez?

Mez said...

I don't mean "yuck" as in "gross". I love Lisa! How could I think ill of her!

I mean that sound of the guffawing laugh people do when they make a lame joke, then slap their knee because they're soooo witty. "Yuk yuk yuk".

Anonymous said...

maybe it should be spelt nyuk nyuk nyuk? That sounds more like the laugh the 3 stooges did... and I think its what you menat. I also took it to mean that you hated that routine! hahaha

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Dasha, has anyone heard about her recovery?

Nothing has been said since Beijing basically. I really hope she's not pondering retirement.