Thursday, September 16, 2010

Breaking: Rizzo Reneged

I have heard - just this second - on Sports Tonight that Phil Rizzo is officially out of the Commonwealth Games, his shoulder injury not having recovered in time.

Steve Quartermain then went on to introduce a Sam Offord profile piece. You can see both pieces here.

Door closes, window opens, etc.


Best of luck for a full recovery, Phil.

Edit 9:45pm: Confirmed by the Sydney Morning Herald here.


"I was going through a routine and could feel the pain in the shoulder and I knew basically there and then that my Games were over," he said.

"It had come to the point when I just had to find out one way or the other whether I was right to compete in a major competition like a Commonwealth Games."

NSW gymnast Luke Wiwatowski, 23, is set to replace Rizzo in the five-strong men's team 17 days before the Games commence.

4 comments:

Trampoline Pads said...

That is sad for Phil Rizzo im sure he is gutted.

Simon

Anonymous said...

I think I missed the boat.
Does anyone know who is in the MAG Comm Games team and who is in the MAG Worlds squad?

Anonymous said...

Commonwealth Games - Delhi

Josh Jefferis
Sam Offord
Prashanth Sellathurai
Thomas Pichler
Luke Wiwatowski (subject to approval from ACGA)


Worlds Squad - Rotterdam

Josh Jefferis
Sam Offord
Prashanth Sellathurai
Thomas Pichler
Luke Wiwatowski
Philippe Rizzo (hasn't officially withdrawn from Worlds, I don't think)
Luke Wadsworth

Anonymous said...

Thanks heaps